Monday, August 1, 2011

face palm.

I am a prepared mama whenst {it's kind of like whilst. i like it. accept it.} out with my children. Very prepared. There is usually an extra outfit for the 2 & 3 year olds, toys to keep them all entertained, snacks a plenty for my crew, and then some for any other child as well, diapers, wipes, drinks, wallet, sunglasses, hats, and on and ooooonnnn...

I am a very prepared mama. I have found that being prepared means we spend less money while out, we are able to adventure for longer amounts of time, and the amount of time we are out is more quality time because we all stay happy.

Well then I decided to take my 5 children to the lake and meet my best friend and her son. 

So this required all of the above items, PLUS a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jelly, a knife, a tub of blueberries {washed} and 6 huge Nalgenes filled with ice water. I also threw in sunscreen, mosquito spray, 7 beach towels, a comforter to sit on, dry bottoms for the 6 & 7 year old, a blow up water floatie, swim diapers, and probably 75 other items I am leaving out.

I was prepared.


Until I arrived at the lake and found 5 children all running in forty directions and only one me to keep my two eyes on all five bodies. In addition to those tasks were making sandwiches, blowing up the floatie, and eating my own sandwich. I soon learned that 5 out of 5 of my kids had attitude, talking back, and basic disobedience packed in their bag, unbeknownst to me.

I then realized: I was so very unprepared.


It took me 3 hours to get us all ready and out the door. We stayed a little over an hour.

Sigh. Stomp, stomp, pout, pout, whine, whine. Biiiggg heeeaavvyyy siiigghhh....

3 comments:

ck said...

Ugh, I know this routine sooooo well! Since it has (literally) been at least 105 degrees outside for the past month, we have barely ventured outside the house all summer, but when we do, I usually end up asking myself, "why did I do this????". While I hate that it was a horrible day for you, it *does* make me feel a bit relieved that I am not the only one whose well-planned excursions don't always end up being Martha-perfect ;-)

stacia said...

Sorry, lady. I think we have all had days like that. I keep taking mine out though (usually 4 with the little girl I watch) and keep waiting for that day when everything goes as planned. It will happen someday....hopefully!:)

Dawn said...

I hope they appreciate your hard labor for them - at least someday!