Wednesday, January 19, 2011

on being kind.

The one thing I have learned about motherhood is I have so much left to learn.

But you know what friends? I am a good mother. And I will not tolerate being yelled at by another mother {also a perfect stranger} who parents differently than I do. And yes, I had that experience this morning. And you know what else? I didn't handle it like I should have.

I am not blameless here. I have looked at other moms who have snot running down their baby's face and judged them. I have looked at other mothers who have had their children out at 10pm at Walmart and judged them. I have looked at a mother whose choices for their children I felt was wrong - and {you guessed it} judged them.

Then guess what happened when I judged those moms? I found myself at Target after a crazy bout of sickness that overtook our house, just trying to get some food in the cart, in the car and into our pantries. After checking out, I looked down and saw my son had snot running down his face. I found myself at Walmart at 10pm, buying diapers and Tylenol because my husband was out of town and there was no other choice but to take the kids with me. I found myself being judged by the choices I made that others do not agree with.

Yes, I am a good mom. But I am not better than you. We are all trying to do the best we can, with what we have been given. And it's haaarrrdd. Gah, is it hard! So, please {and I am saying this as a reminder to myself as well} let's pull each other up and stop making motherhood harder than it already is!

4 comments:

Tina Michelle said...

So true. It is easy to judge. Being kind to fellow mothers is much better for all! Great post. Sorry you have the sickies!

Heather&Boys said...

I judge other Mom's for the exact same things you mentioned. And I too, as of late, have found myself out with my son who only has a light jacket on instead of a heavy coat in the freezing cold because I was way too tired and in a hurry to argue with him about it. I have found myself at Walmart with a baby that has applesauce in his hair because I simply didn't notice it before leaving the house. Amen to this post....

Dawn said...

Good stuff, Nicole!

Nicole said...

Well said! I couldn't agree more!